[REV. 07/07]





The Los Angeles Community College District, in compliance with Federal and State law, has established policies and procedures governing student records and the control of personally identifiable information. The LACCD recognizes that student records are a confidential matter between the individual student and the College. At the same time the LACCD has a responsibility to fulfill public information needs (i.e., information about students participating in athletics, announcement of scholarships and awards).

To meet this responsibility the LACCD may release Directory Information unless the student states in writing not to release it. The responsibility for carrying out these provisions is charged to the College Records Officer, designated by the College President. The Records Officer may be contacted through the Office of Admissions. Copies of Federal and State laws and District policies and procedures are maintained by the College Records Officer and are available for inspection and inquiry.

All student records maintained by the various offices and departments of the College, other than those specifically exempted by law, are open to inspection by the student concerned. The student may challenge the accuracy and appropriateness of the records in writing to the College Records Officer. A student has the right to receive a copy of his or her record, at a cost not to exceed the cost of reproduction. (Requests for transcripts, as distinct from “student records,” should be made directly to the Office of Admissions.)

Directory Information includes the student’s name, the city of residence, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, and the most recent previous educational agency or institution attended by the student. Directory Information about any student currently attending the College may be released or withheld at the discretion of the College Records Officer.

Los Angeles City College will release no student records, other than Directory Information, without the written consent of the student concerned except as authorized by law. A log of persons and organizations requesting or receiving student record information is maintained by the College Records Officer. The log is open to inspection only to the student and the community college official or his or her designee responsible for the maintenance of student records. No Directory Information will be released regarding any student who has notified the College Records Officer in writing that the College shall not release such information.



(See an Academic Counselor for advisement)

Students may submit a petition to the Office of Admissions and Records to have their academic record reviewed for Academic Renewal action of substandard academic performance under the following conditions:
1. Students must have achieved a grade-point-average of 2.5 in their last 15 semester units, or 2.0 in their last 30 semester units completed at any accredited college or university, and
2. At least two calendar years must have elapsed from the time the course work to be removed was completed.

If the student meets the above conditions, the College shall grant academic renewal, consisting of:
1. Eliminating from consideration in the cumulative grade-point-average up to 18 semester units of course work, and
2. Annotating the student academic record indicating where Academic Renewal action has removed courses.

Academic renewal actions are irreversible. Students should meet with a College Counselor before taking such an action.



Upon written request, a copy of students’ academic records (transcripts) shall be forwarded by United States mail to the students or their designated addresses.

Students and former students shall be entitled to two free copies of their transcripts or to two free verifications of enrollment. Additional copies shall be made available to students, or to designated addressees identified by students, at a cost of $3.00 each. Students may request special processing to expedite their request for an additional fee of $7.00 per request.
A student’s transcript may be withheld if a hold has been placed on his or her record due to equipment, books, uniforms, or similar items that the student has not returned to the College or in the instance of any unpaid fees or charges due to LACC or to any LACCD college. The transcript may be withheld until the student discharges these obligations.

Requests for transcripts or verifications may be obtained in the Office of Admissions and Records, AD 100.


Open Enrollment

Unless specifically exempted by law, every course for which State aid is claimed is fully open to any person who has been admitted to the College and who meets the appropriate academic prerequisites.



Concurrent enrollment in more than one section of the same course during a semester is not permitted, except for certain Physical Education classes on a limited basis. Concurrent enrollment in courses which are cross-referenced to each other is not permitted. Violation of this regulation will result in exclusion from class and denial of course credit in both courses.

Classes Scheduled At Overlapping Times
Enrolling in classes scheduled or conducted during overlapping times is not permitted. In addition to exclusion from both classes and denial of credits, violators will be subject to disciplinary action. (See “Standards of Student Conduct,” elsewhere in this catalog.)

Auditing Classes
Students may be permitted to audit a class under the following conditions:
1. Payment of a fee of $15 per unit. Fees are not refundable and they are not covered by a fee waiver. Students enrolled in classes to receive credit for ten or more semester units shall not be charged a fee to audit three or fewer semester units per semester. This fee structure is subject to change.
2. Students auditing a course shall not be permitted to change their enrollment in that course to receive credit for the course.
3. Priority in class enrollment shall be given to students wanting to take the course for credit.
4. Permission to enroll in a class on an audit basis is at the instructor’s discretion.
5. Participation in class activities by student auditors will be solely at the discretion of the instructor, who may provide a written statement of how much participation is allowed beyond observation.
6. Students must be added as an auditor by the last day of the term to add classes.

Units of Work/Study Load
Maximum and minimum unit requirements may apply, as follows:

The maximum study load is 18 units during a regular semester, 12 units during Summer Session and 7 units during a Winter Intersession. The class load for students in the Fall or Spring semester is from 12-18 units for full-time students. A college program of 15 units is equal to at least a 50-hour work week. Students who want to take 19 or more units must obtain approval from a College Counselor.

Those students who will be employed while attending LACC should consider reducing their programs accordingly. Los Angeles City College suggests that those students who are employed full-time should enroll in no more than one or two classes (nine units maximum during the Fall or Spring semester; three units maximum during the Summer Session).

Los Angeles City College defines a “full-time student” as one who is enrolled in 12 or more graded units. Los Angeles City College defines a “part-time student” as one who is enrolled in 6-11 graded units.


Only students who have been admitted to Los Angeles City College and are in approved active status may attend classes. Students should attend every meeting of all classes for which they register. To avoid being excluded from class, students should contact the instructor when they are absent for emergency reasons.

IMPORTANT: Students who are preregistered and miss the first class meeting may lose their right to a place in the class, but the instructor may consider special circumstances. Whenever students are absent more hours than the number of hours the class meets per week, the instructor may exclude them from class. In addition, the instructor will consider whether there are mitigating circumstances which may justify the absences. If the instructor determines that such circumstances do not exist, the instructor may exclude a student from the class.

To avoid being dropped from class, students should contact the instructor when they are absent for emergency reasons. Students are responsible for officially dropping a class that they stop attending. (See “Adding and Dropping” elsewhere in this catalog.)



Students should notify the instructor regarding absences by United States mail or by placing a notice in the "Student to Faculty Box," located at the Campus Mail room. Students also may inform the instructor regarding their absences upon return to the class.




"Attendance" means attendance in at least one semester each calendar year.


Los Angeles City College defines continuous attendance for the California community colleges as attendance in one semester during the calendar year before the current semester of enrollment. (Two semesters need not be consecutive, as long as they are in the same calendar year.)

Attendance means enrollment and completion of graded academic course work. (CR, NCR, Inc and W are acceptable.) Summer is not included in continuous attendance. Reference: California Code of Regulations, Title 5, Section 40401.




Only the symbols in the grading scale given in this section will be used to grade all courses offered in fulfillment of the requirements for an Associate degree or certificate. Grades will be averaged based on the point equivalencies to set a student’s grade-point-average, using the following evaluative symbols:


The following non-evaluative symbols may be entered on the student’s record:















Passing; less than satisfactory






CR Credit (at least equivalent to a "C" grade or better;



NCR Equal to "D" or "F" grade; units awarded are not counted in GPA



I (Incomplete)
Incomplete academic work for unforeseeable emergency and justifiable reasons at the end of the term may result in an “I” symbol being entered in a student record. The condition for removal of the “I” shall be stated by the instructor in a written record, which shall contain the conditions for removal of the “I” and the grade assigned in lieu of its removal. This record shall be given to the student, with a copy on file in the College Office of Admissions until the “I” is made up or the time limit has passed. The “I” symbol shall not be used in calculating units attempted nor for grade points. The “I” must be made up no later than one year following the end of the term in which it was assigned. The student may petition for a time extension due to unusual circumstances.

Courses in which the student has received an Incomplete may not be repeated unless the “I” is removed and has been replaced by a grade. This does not apply to courses which are repeatable for additional credit. Petitions are available in the Admissions office.

IP (In Progress)
The “IP” symbol shall be used only in those courses which extend beyond the normal end of an academic term. “IP” indicates that work is in progress, but that the assignment of a substantive grade must await its completion. The “IP” symbol shall remain on the student’s permanent record in order to satisfy enrollment documentation. The appropriate evaluative grade and unit credit shall be assigned and appear on the student’s record for the term in which the required work of the course is completed. The “IP” shall not be used in calculating grade-point-averages. If a student enrolled in an open-entry, open-exit course is assigned an “IP” at the end of an attendance period and does not complete the course during the subsequent attendance period, the appropriate faculty will assign an evaluative symbol (grade) as specified above to be recorded on the student’s permanent record for the course.

RD (Report Delay
The “RD” symbol shall be used when the instructor has temporarily not submitted the student’s assigned grade. Students receiving “RD” grades should contact their instructor immediately.

W (Withdrawal)
Withdrawal from a class or classes is authorized from the 4th week (or 30% of the time the class meets) through the last day of the 12th week of instruction (or 75% of the time the class is scheduled to meet, whichever is less). No notation (“W” or other) shall be made on the record of a student who withdraws during the first four weeks, or 30% of the time the class is scheduled, whichever is less.
Withdrawal between the end of the 4th week (or 30% of the time the class is scheduled to meet, whichever is less) and the last day of the 14th week of instruction (or 75% of the time the class is scheduled to meet, whichever is less) shall be authorized after informing the appropriate faculty. A student who remains in class beyond the 12th week (or 75% of the time the class is scheduled, whichever is less) shall be given a grade other than a “W,” except in cases of extenuating circumstances.
After the last day of the 12th week (or 75% of the time the class is scheduled, whichever is less), the student may petition to withdraw from class by demonstrating extenuating circumstances. Students my obtain a petition in the Admissions Office. Extenuating circumstances are verified cases of accidents, illness, or other circumstances beyond the control of the student. Withdrawal after the end of the 12th week (or 75% of the time the class is scheduled, whichever is less) which has been authorized in extenuating circumstances shall be recorded as “W.”
The “W” shall not be used in calculating units attempted nor for the student’s grade point average. “W” will be used as a factor in progress probation and dismissal.



Students with outstanding scholastic achievement are given public recognition through the Los Angeles City College Dean’s List. Full-time students (a student enrolled in 12 or more graded units the qualifying semester) must earn a 3.5 or higher GPA. Part-time students (a student enrolled in 6 through 11 graded units) must have completed 12 units and earn a 3.5 or higher GPA in the qualifying semester. Only the grades from courses completed at LACC, during the qualifying semester, will be used in calculating the grade point average (GPA). Grades of “Credit” will not be counted in meeting the unit requirement for the Dean’s or President’s Honor List.

Students who have appeared on the college’s full-time or part-time Dean’s Honor list for three (3) consecutive semesters will be placed on the President’s Distinguished Honor List. Students on the President’s Honor list will receive a lifetime library (limited) privilege card. Students who qualify for the Dean’s and President’s Honors are automatically placed on the lists. Students who think they qualify for either of these honors can go to the Admissions Office and request an unofficial transcript of their records, or use an electronic kiosk, or access the college’s website and print out their transcript. Bring the unofficial transcript to the Office of Student Activities, Clausen Hall 117 for verification.

The Dean’s Honor Program is held annually each spring semester to acknowledge the students who earned their honors the prior spring and fall semesters. Certificates commemorating the occasion are presented.

For graduation with honors (Summa Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, Cum Laude), see "Graduation Requirements" > "Graduation With Honors."



The Los Angeles Community College Board of Trustees has approved the following grading policies and academic standards as required by California law. Please be aware of these policies and standards as they can have serious consequences if not followed. The Admissions Office and the Counseling Office will be happy to answer any questions you might have regarding these policies and standards.
• Section 76224(a) provides: When grades are given for any course of instruction taught in a community college district, the grade given to each student shall be the grade determined by the instructor of the course, and the determination of the student’s grade by the instructor, in the absence of a mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetency, shall be final.
• No grade may be challenged by a student more than one (1) year from the end of the term in which the course was taken, provided that if a college’s academic senate has determined that the period of time during which grades may be challenged should be more than one year, such longer period shall apply at that college. (Title 5, CAC, Section 51308)

Petitioning Evaluative Or Non-Evaluative Grade Symbols
Students must file petitions in the Admissions Office for any evaluative or non-evaluative grade symbol change.
Inquiries regarding results of grade petitions or instructor complaints should first be directed to the faculty member responsible for the course. If resolution is not reached, the inquiry should be directed to the appropriate academic department chairperson and/or area Dean. If resolution is not reached at the departmental or area Dean level, inquiries should be made to the campus Ombudsperson, at (323) 953-4000 ext. 2280.



The College President may designate courses wherein all students enrolled in such courses are evaluated on a credit/no credit basis or wherein each student may elect on registration or no later than the end of the first 30% of the term whether the basis of evaluation is to be credit/no credit or a letter grade. These courses are noted elsewhere in this catalog as being eligible for the Credit/No-Credit Option.


1. Single performance standard. The credit/no credit grading system shall be used in any course in which there is a single satisfactory standard of performance for which unit credit is assigned. A grade of Credit (CR) shall be assigned for meeting that standard, and a grade of No-Credit (NCR) shall be assigned for failure to do so.

2. Acceptance of credits. All units earned on a credit/no-credit basis in accredited California institutions of higher education or equivalent out-of-state institutions shall be counted in satisfaction of community college curriculum requirements.

3. Recording of grade. A student who is approved to be evaluated on the credit/no-credit basis shall receive both course credit and unit credit upon satisfactory completion of the course. Satisfactory completion for credit is equivalent to the grade of “C” or better. A student who does not perform satisfactorily will be assigned a No-Credit (NCR) grade.

4. Grade point calculation. Units earned on a credit/no-credit basis shall not be used to calculate grade-point-averages. Units attempted for which No-Credit (NCR) is recorded shall be considered in probationary and dismissal procedures.

5. Standards of evaluation. The student who is enrolled in a course on a credit/no-credit basis will be held responsible for all assignments and examinations required in the course and must meet the standards of evaluation which are identical for all students.

6. Conversion to letter grade. A student who has received credit for a course taken on a credit/no-credit basis may not convert this credit to a letter grade.

7. Course repetition. A student who has received a grade of No-Credit (NCR) may repeat the course by meeting the requirements set forth by the District Course Repetition to Improve Substandard Grades Policy.



Credit/No-Credit Courses do not fulfill prerequisites for more advanced courses. The student must meet all class standards. A maximum of 15 units of credit/no-credit grades may be applied toward the Associate Degree. Courses offered on this basis are listed below. NOTE: Please check the appropriate academic department for confirmation. Designated courses are subject to change.





All courses except 73 and 80




ART: 101, 102, 103, 105, 107, 109, and 111

ASIAN STUDIES: All courses


BIOLOGY: 1, 3, 23 and 25





CORRECTIONS: All courses

CSIT: All courses



All courses, except 185, 285 and 385


ELECTRONICS: All courses

ENGINEERING: All courses

ENGLISH: All courses, except 101, 102 and 103


FINANCE: All courses


GEOGRAPHY: All courses

GEOLOGY: All courses

HEALTH All courses

HISTORY: 11, 12 and 13

HUMANITIES: All courses

JOURNALISM: 5, 17, 18 and 19


LAW: All courses



MANAGEMENT: All courses

MARKETING: All courses

MATHEMATICS: All courses

METEOROLOGY: All courses

MUSIC: 101, 111, 133, 135, 137, 141, 152, 161,and 181



PHILOSOPHY: All courses

PHOTOGRAPHY: All courses

PHYSICAL EDUCATION: 96 through 499


PHYSICS: 11, 12, 14



1, 2, 3, 12, 13, 14, 18, 21, 24, 32, 41, 43 and 52 and 72


REAL ESTATE: All courses



SUPERVISION: All courses

TELEVISION: 1, 2 and 911

THEATRE ARTS: 200, 271, and 273;

Non-Academy Students

(100, 243, 300, 315, 413 and 450)



Directed Study courses are offered by several academic and vocational departments. They are designed for students who are capable of independent work and who demonstrate the need or desire for additional study beyond the regular curriculum. Enrollment allows students to pursue activities such as directed field experience, research, or the development of skills and competencies under faculty advisement and supervision. Directed Study courses are available in a wide variety of disciplines. Students wishing to enroll in a Directed Study course should contact the appropriate department chair.


Units are awarded depending upon satisfactory performance and the amount of time committed by the student to the course. Allowable units vary according to discipline and are based on the following formula:

Directed Study 185 (1-unit) = 48 hours per semester

Directed Study 285 (2-unit) = 96 hours per semester

Directed Study 385 (3-unit) = 144 hours per semester


Students should note that there are limitations as to the allowable maximum number of Directed Study units. For all Directed Study Courses transferring to the University of California, the maximum credit allowed is 3 semester units per term or six units total in any and all appropriate subject areas combined. The granting of transfer credit for Directed Study courses is contingent upon review of the course outline by the appropriate UC campus.


It is recommended that students consult with a College Counselor and with the appropriate instructor and/or department chairperson before enrolling in Directed Study courses. Please refer to the current Schedule of Classes for information regarding specific Directed Study classes being offered.



The Los Angeles Community College District does not mail grades to students. Students may receive information on their grades through the Student Telephone Enrollment Process (STEP). (See elsewhere in this catalog for additional information about STEP.) To receive grade information, follow these procedures:

Step One:    Dial one of the following numbers: (323) 226-1999; (213) 689-8888; (310) 605-0505; (818) 988-2222. STEP’s voice response will guide you with each entry. Press * to correct any mistakes.
Step Two:     Press 1 for Los Angeles City College.
Step Three:   Press 1 for Spring, 2 for Summer, or 3 for Fall semester
Step Four:    Enter your social security number without dashes (or student identification if it is different from your social security number)
Step Five:    Enter your Personal Identification Number (PIN).
Step Six:       Press 3 to hear your grades.
Step Seven:  Press 9 to exit the system.

You may obtain a printed copy of your grades from the LACC Admissions Office. This printed copy is not a transcript or a Verification of Enrollment. If you need a transcript or a Verification of Enrollment, you may order it from the Admissions Office. Refer to “Transcripts/Verification” elsewhere in this catalog.



LACC policies regarding adding and dropping classes are listed below. These policies are subject to change. Refer to the current Schedule of Classes for current information.


Adding Classes:

Only students who have been admitted to the College and are in approved active status may add or attend classes. Registered students who are on a waiting or standby list must obtain permission from the instructor to add the class.


During the first two weeks of the term, available classes are posted by section number in an area near the Office of Admissions in the Administration building. As with other LACC classes, the available classes listed at the Add Card Center are available to add by telephone.


Dropping Classes:

Students wishing to drop one or more classes must do so through the Office of Admissions by filing a drop card or through the telephone (STEP) or web site.

It is the student’s responsibility to drop from class if he or she decides not to attend or stops attending. Students might not be automatically dropped and/or excluded and will be accountable for any fees due.


The following schedule applies to dropping classes.

Any drops or exclusions that occur before the end of the 4th week of the semester (or 30% of the time the class is scheduled to meet) will not be noted on the student records.


Any drops or exclusions that occur between the 5th and the 12th week of the semester (or 75% of the time the class is scheduled, whichever is less) will result in a "W" ("Withdrawal") on the student’s record, which will be included in the determination of progress probation.


Drops are not permitted beyond the end of the 12th week. A grade (A, B, C, D, F, CR, I, or NCR) will be assigned to students who are enrolled past the end of the 12th week even if they stop attending class, except in cases of extenuating circumstances. After the last day to drop students may withdraw from class upon petition demonstrating extenuating circumstances. Petitions may be obtained from the Office of Admissions.


Withdrawal from the College:

It is recommended that students consult with a College Counselor when withdrawing (dropping all classes). Clearance of the record in courses where equipment has been issued is required when students separate from such classes.



The following standards for academic and progress probation shall be applied as required by regulations adopted by the Board of Governors of the California Community Colleges.



A student shall be placed on probation if any one of the following conditions prevail:

Academic Probation: The student has attempted a minimum of 12 semester units of work and has a grade-point-average less than a "C" (2.0).

Progress probation: The student has enrolled in a total of at least 12 semester units and the percentage of all units in which a student has enrolled and for which entries of W (Withdrawal), I (Incomplete), and NCR (No Credit) are recorded reaches or exceeds fifty percent (50%).

Transfer student: The student has met the conditions of "Academic Probation" or "Progress Probation," above, at another college within the Los Angeles Community College District.

Units Attempted: "Units Attempted," for purposes of determining probation status only, means all units of credit in the current community college of attendance in which the student is enrolled.

Standards for Dismissal:

Students shall be subject to dismissal and subsequently be dismissed under the conditions set forth within this section. Dismissal from Los Angeles City College shall disqualify students from admission to any college in the Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD).

Academic Dismissal: Students who are on academic probation shall be subject to dismissal if they have earned a cumulative grade-point-average of less than 2.0 in all units attempted in each of three consecutive semesters.

Students who are on academic probation and who earn a semester grade-point-average of 2.0 or better shall not be dismissed as long as this minimum semester grade-point-average is maintained.


Progress Dismissal: Students who are on progress probation shall be subject to dismissal if the cumulative percentage of units in which they have been enrolled for which entries of W (Withdrawal), I (Incomplete), and NCR (No Credit) are recorded in at least three (3) consecutive semesters reaches or exceeds fifty percent (50%). Students who are on progress probation shall not be dismissed after a semester in which the percentage of units in which they have been enrolled for which entries of W, I and NCR are recorded is less than fifty percent (50%).

Appeal of Dismissal:

Students who are subject to dismissal may appeal to the Vice President of Student Services. Dismissal may be postponed and the student continued on probation if the student shows significant improvement in academic achievement but has not been able to achieve a level that would meet the requirements for removal from probation.


Readmission After Dismissal:

Students who have been dismissed may request reinstatement after two (2) semesters have elapsed. They shall submit a written petition requesting readmission to the College in compliance with College procedures. Readmission may be granted, denied, or postponed subject to fulfillment of conditions prescribed by the College. Students must file a petition to return prior to the day for new and returning students to register in person. Refer to the College Calendar in the current Schedule of Classes for effective dates.




See an Academic Counselor For Advisement.


Special Circumstances

Repetition of courses for which substandard work has not been recorded shall be permitted only upon advance petition of the student and with permission of the College President or designee based on a finding that circumstances exist which justify such repetition. In such repetition under special circumstances, the student’s permanent academic record shall be annotated in such a manner that all work remains legible. Grades awarded for repetition under special circumstances shall not be counted in calculating a student’s grade-point-average.


To Improve Substandard Grades

Students may petition for approval to repeat courses up to a total of 15 units in which substandard grades (less than "C") were awarded. Students may repeat the same course only once for this purpose. Upon completion of a course repetition, the best grade earned will be computed in the cumulative grade-point-average and the student academic record so annotated.

No specific course or categories of courses shall be exempt from course repetition. This policy is adopted for use in the Los Angeles Community College District only. Other institutions may differ. Students planning to transfer to another college or university should contact that institution regarding its policy.





Some courses in listed in this catalog are eligible for credit by examination.

1. Methods of obtaining credit by examination.

a. Achievement of a score of three (3) or higher on an Advanced Placement Examination administered by the College Entrance Board

b. Credit by satisfactory completion of an examination administered by the college in lieu of completion of a course listed in the Los Angeles City College Catalog.

c. Achievement of a score that qualifies for credit on an examination administered by other agencies approved by Los Angeles City College.

2. Determination of Eligibility to Take College Administered Examinations. Students who qualify:

a. Must be currently enrolled in at least six (6) units at Los Angeles City College, in good standing, and with minimum grade point average of "C" (2.0) in any work attempted at Los Angeles City College.

b. May petition for credit by examination if they

1) Are eligible to take such course for credit under existing regulations;

2) Have not completed a course or are not in the process of taking a course which is more advanced than the course for which credit is requested.

3. Maximum credit allowable for credit by examination:

The maximum number of credits allowable for credit by examination for the associate degree shall be fifteen (15). Credit by examination transferred from other institutions is counted toward this maximum.


A. Credits acquired by examination are not applicable to meeting such unit load requirements as Veteran or Social Security benefits.

B. Recording of Credit: Students who successfully pass the examination given to fulfill the "credit by examination" option shall have the course posted on their cumulative record indicating "Credit" in the grade column. The number of units of credit recorded for any course may not exceed those listed in the College catalog.

4. Acceptance Towards Residence

Units for which credit is given pursuant to the provisions of this section shall not be counted in determining the twelve units of credit in residence requirement.

5. Recording of credit:

a. If a student passes the examination, the course shall be based on his/her cumulative record indicating "Credit" in the "Grade" column.

b. The number of units of credit recorded for any course may not exceed those listed in the Los Angeles City College Catalog.



Students transferring from institutions not accredited by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges may, after successful completion of 30 units with a “C” or better grade-point-average, petition for credit in courses which parallel the offerings of the College.

The following exceptions for currently enrolled students may be made to this regulation:

1. Credit for Graduates of Diploma Schools of Nursing. The following amount of credit is authorized for graduates of Diploma Schools of Nursing who enter a Los Angeles Community College District college:

A. Thirty semester units of credit will be awarded to graduates of Diploma Schools of Nursing under the following conditions:

            i. The student presents a valid, current California certificate as a licensed registered nurse to the designated administrative officer;
        ii. The student has completed at least 12 units of credit at the College to which application is made.

B. The work of graduates of Diploma Schools of Nursing outside California will be recognized if the student has a valid, current California license. Credit will be given although the license was obtained by reciprocity with another state rather than by examination.

C. Candidates for the Associate of Arts or Associate of Science Degree are exempt from Health Education as a general education requirement. No other general education requirements will be waived.

D. The transcript is not to reflect the major field nor should the diploma, where given, indicate Nursing as a major.


2. Credits for Military Service Training Students who are currently serving in or have served in the military service, may, after successful completion of at least one course at a college in the Los Angeles Community College District, request an evaluation of credit earned through military service training schools and/or military occupational specialties for a total of six general elective credits.


3. Credits for Law Enforcement Academy Training Credit for basic recruit academy training instructional programs in Administration of Justice or other criminal justice occupations shall be granted as follows:

A. Credit will be given for training from institutions which meet the standards of training of the California Peace Officers Standards and Training Commission.

B. A single block of credit will be given and identified as academy credit.

C. One unit of credit may be granted for each 50 hours of training, not to exceed 18 semester units or their equivalent. Credits granted by an institution of higher education for basic recruit academy training, under the above provisions, shall not be identified as equivalent to any required course in the major.


4. Acceptance Towards Residence Units for which credit is given pursuant to the provisions of this section shall not be counted in determining the twelve units of credit in residence requirement.


5. Recording of Grade Students who successfully pass the examination given to fulfill the “credit by examination” option shall have the record of such examination entered on their record as “CRX” (Credit by Exam), as provided by the LACCD Grading Symbols and Definitions Policy.

*The exception being foreign languages.



Students who wish to receive course credit for college and university work completed in a foreign county or outside of the United States must have their transcripts evaluated if the transcript is in foreign language.

It is also recommended that course descriptions be submitted along with the evaluated transcript, for courses that the student would like to receive credit. The process for receiving credit for Foreign/International Transcripts is as follows:


1. A petition must be submitted to the Admissions Office in AD-100 to request credit for the courses in question along with the evaluated transcripts. If you don’t know where to take your Foreign/International transcripts to be evaluated, the Admissions Office will provide you with a list of LACCD recognized companies that are authorized to evaluate Foreign/International transcripts.

2. It is advisable that you provide the Admissions Office with course descriptions, where possible, of the evaluated course work, or any catalog information that may expedite the evaluation process. Please refer to the university or college the course work was completed, to request course descriptions.

3. After your petition and transcripts have been evaluated, you will be informed of the outcome.


If you do not agree with the outcome of your petition, you may petition the appropriate Department Chair. The decision of the Department Chair is final.


The College reserves the right to discontinue any class with insufficient enrollment.





C A T A L O G   I N D E X  |  R E T U R N  T O  L A C C   H O M E   P A G E  |  C A T A L O G  /  C L A S S  S C H E D U L E 


An Urban Oasis of Learning