[REV. 07/09]




 Academic Year

The academic year is divided into 4 sessions:

Fall Semester              (15 weeks, August - December)

Winter Intersession       (5 weeks, January - February)

Spring Semester          (15 weeks, February - June)

Summer Session         (5 & 8 week sessions, June - August)

Courses offered during these sessions are similar in scope and maintain equivalent standards. Students may enroll concurrently at Los Angeles City College in both day and evening classes.


Days, Evening, Weekends & Distance Learning Classes

Classes are taught from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., Monday through Friday and 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturdays. Some courses are available through distance learning including Instructional Television (ITV) and on-line.


Summer Sessions:

Los Angeles City College offers one or more 5 to 8 week summer sessions subject to approval by the Board of Trustees.

 Eligibility Requirements


Individuals who possess a high school diploma or its equivalent meet the basic eligibility requirement for admission to any public California two-year community college, including Los Angeles City College.


Individuals who do not possess a high school diploma or its equivalent but who meet additional criteria are also eligible for admission to LACC if in the judgment of the College Admissions Officer they are capable of profiting from the instruction offered.


Additional eligibility criteria include persons who are:

1. Eighteen years of age.

2. Apprentices, as defined by Section 3077 of the California Labor Code.

3. In grades K-12, under special circumstances.

Information regarding other eligibility criteria and/or admission procedures is available in the Office of Admissions and Records.


California Residency

To attend any of the Los Angeles Community College District colleges as a resident of California, a student is required to have been a California resident for more than one year preceding the Residence Determination Date. The "Residence Determination Date" is that day preceding the opening day of instruction of the semester.



A non-resident student is one who has not had residence in the State of California for more than one year immediately preceding the Residence Determination Date.


A student classified as a non-resident will be required to pay non-resident fees as established by the LACCD Board of Trustees.


Residence Reclassification

Students who have been classified as non-residents must petition to be reclassified as residents anytime they feel their status has changed. The Residence Reclassification form is available in the Office of Admissions and must be submitted before the semester in which reclassification as a resident is to be effective.


Residence Appeal

A student may appeal the residence classification determined by the College. The student must make the appeal within 30 calendar days of receipt of notification of the residence classification from the Admissions Office. The appeal must be submitted in writing to the College Admissions Officer, who will forward it to the District Residency Appeal Officer.


Non-Citizen Students

Los Angeles City College is authorized under Federal and State law to enroll non-citizen students. Information regarding admission procedures is available in the Office of Admissions.


 Application for Admission to LACC

Admissions applications are available online at www.lacitycollege.edu.  Application forms are also available at the Student Assistance Center.

The Los Angeles Community College District is committed to protecting student privacy. The social security number will no longer be used as the student identifier for students. New students will be issued a student ID number at the time of application. Every student ID will begin with the numbers “88”.

International Students

Also see the “Services & Programs - International Student Center” section of this catalog.

Los Angeles City College has one of the most diverse campuses in the country with students of every culture and from all over the world. The college is certified by the Immigration and Naturalization Services (INS) to issue I-20’s to non-immigrant visa students.

Effective April 12, 2002, the Immigration and Naturalization Service has issued an Interim Rule which requires students with B visas to change their visa status to either a F-1 or M-1 nonimmigrant visa prior to pursuing a course of study at the College.

You may be considered if you meet the following requirements:
• Have or will earn a high school diploma from a US high school  or the equivalent education from a foreign school.
• Have a score of four-hundred-fifty (450-paper based /133-computer based/45-internet based/) or more on the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language).
• Have a valid non-immigrant visa.
• Show the ability to pay the non-resident tuition.

If you live in the Los Angeles area and would like to be considered for admissions:
1) Attend a scheduled meeting
2) Take the College Placement Assessment to determine placement in English

For meeting dates & times or for more info.: (323) 953-4000 ext. 2470.
For information on receiving credit for courses taken in universities outside of the U.S., see the “Policies - Academic” section of this catalog.


 Registering for Classes


New & Returning Students: A new student is one who has never taken classes at Los Angeles City College and has filed an Application for Admission. A returning student is one who has had a break of more than two semesters between enrollments at Los Angeles City College.

Step 1: Obtain an application from the Student Assistance Center or via the web at www.LACityCollege.edu.

Step 2: Return completed application to the Admissions Office, AD 100 and receive an assessment appointment in AD 103.

Step 3: Complete your skills level assessment and orientation.

Step 4: Register for classes by phone or via the web.

Students who already have a degree may skip Step 3.

Continuing Students: A continuing student is one who attended classes at Los Angeles City College during one of the previous two semesters. Continuing students will automatically receive telephone registration materials in the mail.



Los Angeles City College provides the "Student Telephone Enrollment Program" (STEP) for enrolling. By using the STEP system, students can enroll in Fall, Winter, Spring, and/or Summer classes and access their grade information. Refer to the current Schedule of Classes for more information.


Class Unit Limit

The maximum study load is 18 units during a regular semester, 12 units during a Summer Session and 7 units during a Winter Intersession. While the normal class load for full-time students in the Fall or Spring semester is from 12 to 18 units per semester, students who will be employed while attending Los Angeles City College should reduce their programs accordingly. It is strongly recommended that students who are employed full-time should enroll in no more than 1 or 2 classes or a maximum of 9 units. Students who wish to attempt more than the unit limits specified above must petition to do so with the Counseling department.


Cancellation of Classes

The college reserves the right to discontinue any class with insufficient enrollment prior to the end of the second week of the class.



The College Agrees to Provide:

The College Agrees to Provide:
- Students can complete an admissions application online at www.lacitycollege.edu. Students can also speak to a multilingual student staff member in the Student Assistance Center for assistance in completing the admissions application and receive general campus information with confidential support and referrals (AD 105). Completed applications are turned in to Admissions (AD 100).

2. ASSESSMENT - You will take a basic skills assessment in reading, writing, language usage, and mathematics to help you select courses appropriate for you. Appointments to take assessment are made in AD 103.

3. ORIENTATION- Introduces you to the campus resources, support services and college programs which are available to help you make better, more informed educational and career choices.

4. COUNSELING - Provides academic advisement and assistance in course selection, development of a Student Educational Plan, career planning, referral to appropriate student services, and Personal Development Classes which are taught by counseling faculty.

5. FOLLOW-UP - Provides regular evaluation of your progress through the Early Alert program and group counseling sessions.

The Student Agrees to:
1. Express at least a broad educational intent upon admission.
2. Declare a specific educational goal after completion of 15 semester units at the college.
3. Meet with a College Counselor to establish a Student Educational Plan within one semester after declaring an educational goal and to review the Educational Plan at least once each semester.
4. Attend classes regularly and complete assigned course work.

5. Maintain satisfactory progress toward an educational goal according to standards established by the Los Angeles Community College District and the State of California.
6. Be familiar with the information in the college catalog and schedule of classes, and know and observe all policies and procedures related to the program of study being pursued.

As a student, you may be exempted from matriculation if you meet at least one of the following criteria:
1. Have an AA, BA or higher degree from an accredited college or university.
2. Have completed 30 units or more including English 28 or 101 and Mathematics 115 or equivalent courses.
3. Are enrolling for personal enrichment or recreational purposes without plans of taking more than 15 units of credit classes.

Even if you are not exempted from matriculation you may be exempted from assessment if you meet any of the following criteria:
1. Have a record of completing English 28 or 101 and Mathematics 115 or equivalent courses.
2. Have completed equivalent assessments at other colleges and have presented their documentation for verification to the Assessment Center, AD 103. (Verification must be presented before an exemption can be granted.) Math assessment is accepted up to one year.

If you are not exempt from matriculation but choose not to participate in the process, a waiver is available in the Student Assistance Center, AD 105. The exemption waiver must be taken to the counseling Office, AD 108, for approval.

Matriculation is a campus-wide effort of faculty, administrators, staff and students. However, if for any reason, you feel that matriculation interferes with your rights as a student, forms for appeal are available in the Office of the Vice President of Student Services, AD 207.




The following explains conditions of enrollment that qualify a student for a class or course of study according to laws and state regulations AB3 and Title 5.
Prerequisite is the requirement needed to qualify for a course. It is designed to identify skills necessary for success in a course.
Co-requisite is the requirement for taking a simultaneous course in order to enroll in a particular class.
Advisory is advice given before enrolling. It is not required that a student follow this advice.
A Satisfactory Grade is an academic record with the symbol A, B, C, or “CR.”

A student may challenge the above enrollment policies by filing a Prerequisite or Co-requisite Challenge Petition. You can obtain the form from the Admissions Office (AD 100), the Student Assistance Center (AD 105), or the Counseling Center (AD 108). Documented proof of your challenge will be required. The Petition must be filed with the Department Chair of the department over the class that is being challenged. If the College does not resolve your challenge within the five-day period, you will automatically be enrolled in the class. If no space is available in the class, the challenge shall be resolved before the beginning of registration for the next term. If your challenge is upheld and space is available, you may enroll in the next term.

Grounds for Challenges
It is your responsibility to show proof with documentation that you have grounds for a legitimate challenge. You may challenge any of the prerequisites or co-requisites using any of the Title 5 regulations listed below:

NOTE: If you have successfully completed a similar course outside of the Los Angeles Community College District, bring your official or unofficial transcripts or grade cards to the Counseling Office - AD 108 for evaluation.

1. The prerequisite/co-requisite does not follow the rules established by the District.
2. The prerequisite/co-requisite is in violation of Pre/Co-requisite and Advisory Regulation, specified in Section 55201(e) of Title V. (See Office of the Vice President of Student Services - AD207)
3. The prerequisite/co-requisite is unlawfully discriminatory or being applied in an unlawfully discriminatory manner. Once you have completed the prerequisite or co-requisite Challenge petition process on the grounds of

     unlawful discrimination, you have the right to file a formal complaint of unlawful discrimination with the Compliance Officer.
4. You have the ability and knowledge to succeed in a course without the pre/co-requisite.
5. You will be subject to undue delay in obtaining your educational goal because the prerequisite/co-requisite course was not reasonably available.
6. You have not been allowed to enroll due to a limitation set for a course that involves intercollegiate competition, public performance, honor courses, or blocks of courses limited to a particular group of students. You will be allowed to

    enroll in such a course if there is no equivalent section offered, and you would be delayed a semester or more in obtaining your degree or certificate specified in your Student Educational Plan.
7. You want to enroll in a course which has prerequisite/corequisite established to protect health and safety, and you can demonstrate that you do not pose a threat to yourself or others.

Resolution of Prerequisite Challenges
Each prerequisite challenge shall be investigated and resolved through the appropriate department chair no later than five (5) working days from the day that your challenge is filed.

Pre/Co-requisite Challenge Petition Filing Dates
Students may file challenges throughout the fall and spring semesters up to five (5) working days before the end of each semester. Some departments may accept petitions during summer session and winter intersessions, based on faculty availability.


 Tuition & Fees


Note: the fees listed below were accurate at the time this catalog went to print in July 2007, but are subject to change by the California Legislature. Fees are due at the time of registration and create a hold until paid in full.

Students may pay fees by cash, check , Visa, MasterCard, American Express or Discover Card. If you pay your fees by check, your student ID number will be written on your check. If you do not wish to have your student ID number appear on your check, you must use an alternative form of payment. $10 handling fee is charged on all returned checks. Fees may be paid online at http://www.laccd.edu/student_information/sis_logon.asp or on the STEP telephone system, via credit card.


ENROLLMENT FEE                                    $26 per unit

 (CA Residents)                                                         (no maximum per semester)
Section 72252 of the Education Code requires Los Angeles City College to charge an enrollment fee of each student enrolling in college. The fee is twenty six dollars ($26) per unit per semester for resident students. This fee must be paid at the time of registration. Students may pay enrollment fees by cash, check, or VISA, MasterCard, American Express or Discover Card.

If at the time of enrollment you are receiving benefits under the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), the Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Program, or the General Assistance Program, the enrollment fee will be waived. For information on the procedure for requesting a waiver, contact the Financial Aid Office before you enroll at LACC.

Financial aid may be available to students who meet the qualification requirements. Students with questions concerning financial aid eligibility should contact the LACC Financial Aid Office. Students should submit an application as soon as possible.



Out-Of-State Residents     $188 per unit

Foreign Citizens           $198 per unit

Non-resident foreign citizens must also pay

the enrollment fee of $26 per unit


Enrollment Fee Assistance

Los Angeles City College offers enrollment fee assistance to eligible students who need assistance in paying the enrollment fee. The Board of Governors (BOG) Enrollment Fee Waiver is available to students whose family is receiving Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)/CalWORKs, Supplemental Security Income/State Supplemental Program, General Assistance/General Relief, or who meet the qualifying income standards. In addition, dependents of Veterans/National Guard, Congressional Medal of Honor recipients and their children, victims of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack and deceased law enforcement/fire suppression personnel killed in the line of duty, are also eligible for fee waiver.

An Automatic Fee Waiver will be processed for eligible California residents who have filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with the College Financial Aid Office. Students may contact the Financial Aid Office to obtain a Board of Governors Fee Waiver (BOGFW) Application.

See Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver Program under "Financial Aid - State Financial Aid.

Enrollment Fee Refunds
CA Residents: For full-session classes, a full refund of the enrollment fee will be made through the end of the second week of classes. For short-term classes, a full refund is available up to the end of a period equal to ten percent (10%) of the total session length. No refund will be authorized after the periods described above except when college action to cancel or reschedule a class necessitates the drop. Students must request check/credit card refunds in the Business Office. Credit card refunds will be processed a week after filing the request.

NOTE: After the second week, fees for dropped classes will be applied to fees for classes added simultaneously or after a drop. No refunds will be given for drop transactions alone. Students are strongly advised to complete add and drop transactions simultaneously, within the authorized dates for doing so.

Non-Residents: Non-resident students who formally drop or otherwise separate from part or all of their enrollment may request a refund of previously paid non-resident tuition and enrollment fees in accordance with the following schedule and computations, calculated as follows:


Instructional Materials Fee                 $ varies

Students may be required to provide instructional and other materials required for credit or no-credit courses. Such materials shall be of continuing value to a student outside the classroom setting and shall not be solely or exclusively available from the Los Angeles Community College District.


Associate Student Organization Fee     $7 per semester

A $7 per semester membership fee provides access to the ASO Services Center where you can receive free bluebooks, scantrons, copier and fax services, use the computers for homework or to access the internet, preferred parking, movie and amusement park discounts, etc. You are also eligible to participate in student government; join a club; support the college’s theater, music and forensic programs; attend campus events; and participate in shared governance.


Student Representation Fee                $1 per semester

This required fee benefits LACC students by enabling your ASO to respond to legislative issues which impact students directly, i.e. tuition increases, textbooks taxes, community college funding. The ASO advocates and lobbies on your behalf at the District or in Sacramento and coordinates their efforts with the state and regional community college student organization (California Student Senate). The ASO is your legally designated liaison with the college, the District Office, the California State Chancellor’s Office and the Board of Governors. They represent the LACC student before local, state and federal government organizations. You can waive your right to be represented by completing a form available in the Student Assistance Center, AD 105, the Business Office, AD 111, or in the Student Activities Office, CH 117.


Health Services Fee                          $11 per semester

The Los Angeles Community College District charges an eleven dollar ($11) mandatory Health Fee. The fee is payable to one campus only and covers the costs of Health Centers at the District’s nine campuses. If you are a member of a religious group that depends on prayer for healing, please contact the Dean of Student Services, Activities, in CH117 for exemption procedures. Also see Policies: General “Student Health Fee Waivers.”


Parking Fee                                     $20-27 per semester

Parking in campus lots in areas marked “Parking by Permit Only” will be restricted to vehicles displaying a valid permit. Permit procedures, fees, and refund information are available in the Business Office. A limited number of parking permits will be sold.
Summer Permits:     $10
Winter Permits:         $10
Fall or Spring: Restricted Parking $20 (Lot #2 parking structure ONLY).
Preferred Parking $27 (Lot #1 ground floor open area, Lot #2 parking structure, Lot #3, AND ASO membership)

 What Is Financial Aid?

Financial Aid is monies made available by federal and state governments and by private sources in the form of grants, scholarships, loans, and employment. This assistance makes it possible for students to continue their education beyond high school, even if they and/or their family cannot meet the full cost of the postsecondary school they choose to attend.

Who Is Eligible For Financial Aid?
To be considered for financial aid, students must generally meet the following minimum requirements:
• Be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen. An eligible non–citizen is a U.S. permanent resident who has documentation from the Department of Homeland Security verifying that his/her stay in the U.S. is for other than a temporary purpose.
• Show financial need.
• Be making satisfactory academic progress in a course of study leading to an AA or AS degree, certificate, or transfer to a baccalaureate degree program.
• Not be in default on any loans such as Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Stafford Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized), Federal Direct Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized, or FPLUS Loans (Parental Loans for Undergraduate Students) at any school attended.
• Not owe a refund on a Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Grant (FSEOG), or Cal Grant programs.
• Be registered with the Selective Service, if male between the ages of 18 and 26 years old.
• Be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible program.
• Have a valid social security number.
• Demonstrate an ability to benefit as defined below.

Ability to Benefit (ATB):
Students who meet one of the qualifications listed below have demonstrated the ability to benefit from a college education in accordance with applicable federal regulations.
• Received a high school diploma; or
• Passed a high school proficiency examination; or
• Received a certificate of General Education Development (GED); or
• Successfully completed a two-year program (minimum 48 credit towards a bachelor’s degree); or
·• Passed an independently administered test that is approved by the Secretary of the Department of Education.

ATB Tests are administered and scheduled through the Assessment Center at Los Angeles City College.

 How To Apply For Financial Aid

To apply for federal and state financial aid programs, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA is an all inclusive form that allows students to apply for all programs. Students applying for Federal Direct Loans, Emergency Loans, or scholarships must complete additional applications and/or forms that may be requested from the Financial Aid Office. FAFSA applications are available at the College Financial Aid Office, high schools, counseling offices, and libraries.

Students may also apply on-line at www.fafsa.ed.gov. Be sure to print and mail the signature page after transmitting the application or apply for a Personal Identification Number (PIN) to electronically sign the application.

Note: Financial Aid applicants must use their own social security number on all college records.

 Priority Dates & Deadlines


In general, students must submit a valid Student Aid Report (SAR) or the institution must have on file a valid Institutional Student Information Record (ISIR) by the last day of enrollment for a term.
•  To receive a Pell Grant, financial aid applications and all required documents must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office prior to the end of the enrollment period.
•  To receive a Cal Grant, the FAFSA must be submitted no later than March 2, 2007 for the 2007-2008 award year. Students planning to attend a community college in 2007-2008 have a secondary deadline of September 2, 2007 to apply for Cal Grant.
• The priority processing date May 1, 2007, for the 2007-2008 academic year. Students who have missed the priority processing date are encouraged to apply as funds may still be available.
• To receive Direct Loans, the application and/or request form and verification forms, must be processed 20 working days prior to the end of the enrollment period for which the loan is requested.

Consult the LACC Financial Aid Office for more information regarding priority dates.




For students selected for verification by the Department of Education, the Financial Aid Office will request additional documents, such as Federal Tax Returns, to process the application.


 Federal Refund Requirements


Students who receive federal financial aid and withdraw from ALL classes at the institution in the first 60% of the term may have to repay the “unearned” federal funds received prior to withdrawal. The Financial Aid Office will calculate the amount of federal funds earned up to the point of withdrawal and students will be billed and must repay any federal grant funds received but not earned. Failure to repay these funds will result in the denial of future federal financial aid.

Students are advised to contact the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing from all of their classes.


 Federal Recalculation Requirements


Federal Pell Grant and Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) awards must be recalculated if the student’s information changes after the initial calculation or disbursement. The three factors that are most likely to change are enrollment status, expected family contribution (EFC), and cost of attendance.

Awards will be calculated during each term, based on the student’s enrollment status for that term. If the student’s enrollment status changes up to the date of the second disbursement run date, the Financial Aid Office will recalculate the student’s Federal Financial Aid Grants. A recalculation may result in a decreased or increased award.

 Federal Financial Aid


Federal Pell Grants - The Federal Pell Grant is a federally funded program. To be eligible, an applicant must be an undergraduate student and demonstrate financial need. Grants range from $400 to $4,310 per academic year.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG) - The FSEOG is a federal grant program designed to supplement other sources of financial aid for students with exceptional need.

Federal Work Study (FWS) - FWS enables a student to earn part of his/her financial aid award through campus employment.

Federal Perkins Loan – This is a low interest loan made available to students with exceptional need to meet their educational expenses.

Federal Direct Loans (Subsidized and Unsubsidized) – Students may be eligible to borrow up to $3,500 for first year students and $4,500 for second year students per academic year from the Direct Loan Program. The student’s annual borrowing limit may also vary based upon the following:
• The amount of unmet need after other federal assistance is considered; and
• The applicant’s aggregate student loan debt; and
• The applicant’s previous delinquent or defaulted loan history.

NOTE: Los Angeles City College will be unable to certify additional loans for a student who has already borrowed two years worth of loans including loans borrowed at other institutions, until the student has obtained additional loan counseling.

Bureau of Indian Affairs Grants (BIA) - The Bureau of Indian Affairs grants provide money to help defray the costs of education for students with American Indian heritage. Students may apply if they:
• A member of, or at least one-quarter American Indian blood or a descendent of a member of an American Indian tribe who are eligible for the special programs and services provided by the

  United States through the Bureau of Indian Affairs to Indians because of their status as Indians.
• Have been accepted for admission to a nationally accredited institution of higher education that provides a course of study conferring the Associate of Arts or Bachelor’s degree.
• Demonstrate financial need as determined by the financial aid officer of the post-secondary institution.

For applications write to: Office of Indian Education Program, 2800 Cottage Way, Sacramento, California 95825 - (916) 978-6058.


 State Financial Aid

The Board of Governor’s Fee Waiver Program (BOGFW):
Under this program enrollment fees are waived for students who meet qualification criteria. Applicants do not have to be enrolled in a specific number of units or courses to receive the waiver and no repayment of funds is required. California residents who are enrolled in al least one (1) unit may apply for a fee waiver.

There are three ways to qualify:
1. At the time of enrollment you are a recipient of benefits under the TANF/CalWORKS Program (formerly AFDC), SSI (Supplemental Security Income), General Assistance (also known as General Relief).

2. You meet the following 2006 income standards.

Numbers in Total 2006 Family Income
Household (including yourself) (adjusted gross income
and/or untaxed income)
1 ...........................................................$14,700
2 ...........................................................$19,900
3 ...........................................................$24,900
4 ...........................................................$30,000
5 ...........................................................$35,100
6 ...........................................................$40,200
7 ...........................................................$45,300
8 ...........................................................$50,400
Each additional family member $5,100
• In addition to the income standards, students may also demonstrate BOGFW B eligibility by having a zero EFC (Expected Family Contribution) under federal methodology.
• The student is also eligible if the parent portion of the EFC is zero or less.

3. You qualify for financial aid. If you qualify under this criteria, you will need to complete the FAFSA. If you qualify after you have paid your enrollment fees, you should complete a “Request for Refund” form available in the college Business Office.

 The Cal Grant Program

• Cal Grant A – Although Cal Grant A is only for use at a four-year college, students should apply while attending Los Angeles City College. The California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) will reserve grants for students who qualify until they transfer to a four-year college, but will not hold them for more than two years.

• Cal Grant B – Cal Grant B provides a living allowance for entering college freshman who come from very low income families. At a community college, grants can range from $300 to $1551 per academic year. Students must be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) units to be eligible.

• Cal Grant C - Cal Grant C is intended for students who desire to train for specific occupations, vocations, or technical careers, but who do not have the financial resources to enter training programs because they are from low income families. Grants are limited to $576 per year at community colleges for programs ranging in length from four months to two years. Students must be enrolled in at least six (6) units and demonstrate occupation achievement or aptitude in the chosen field.

Extended Opportunity Program and Services (EOPS)
EOP&S is a state-funded program designed primarily for the recruitment and retention of students affected by language, social, and economic disadvantages. The EOP&S program provides services such as grants, book services and/or work study. EOP&S grants may be used to replace loans and/or work-study.

Chafee Grant Program
The California Chafee Grant Program gives up to $5,000 annually of free money to foster youth and former foster youth to use for college courses or vocational school training. The student must be enrolled in an eligible college or vocational school, enrolled in at least half-time and an eligible course of study that is at least one year long. To get additional information, please contact the California Chafee Grant Program at 1-888-224-7268 or write to California Student Aid Commission, Specialized Programs, Attn: California Chafee Grant Program P.O. Box 419029 Rancho Cordova, CA 95741-9029.

Law Enforcement Personnel Dependents Scholarship
This grant program provides educational benefits to the dependents of California police and other law enforcement officers (Chief of Police, Police Officers, Sheriffs, Marshals, Deputy Marshals, etc.) who have been killed or totally disabled in the line of duty. For more information and application materials, write directly to: California Student Aid Commission,
1515 S Street, Suite 500, P.O. Box 510624, Sacramento, California 94245 – Attention: LEPD Program.

Determining Financial Need
The type of financial aid and amount received will be determined by the LACC Financial Aid Office. Financial aid awards are based on demonstrated financial need which is the difference between allowable educational expenses and the expected family contribution (EFC) and/or the student’s resources. Resources may include, but are not limited to employment earnings, veteran benefits, Social Security benefits, TANF/CalWORKS benefits, JTPA benefits, and CARE benefits. Expected family contribution and resources are then measured against the institutional student Cost of Attendance to determine financial need.



2007-2008 Cost of Education: Living at Home
  9 Months 12 Months
Fees $582* $870
Books & Supplies $1,422 $2,133
Room & Board $3,978 $5,304
Transportation $828 $1,104
Personal Expenses $2,502 $3,336
TOTAL $9,312 $12,747


2005-2006 Cost of Education: Living Away From Home
  9 Months 12 Months
Fees $582* $870
Books & Supplies $1,422 $2,133
Room & Board $9,936 $13,248
Transportation $954 $1,272
Personal Expenses $2,394 $3,192
TOTAL $15,288 $20,715


* subject to change without notice by the California Legislature.


1) Non-Resident Tuition is added to fees, depending on the student residence code.


2) Dependent/Child Care is provided to students requiring child care up to a maximum of $1,000. A student with a spouse attending the same school will receive one child care allowance per family.


 Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy


Effective July 1, 2004, Los Angeles Community College District has adopted a new Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP). In accordance with the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, the Los Angeles Community College District (hereinafter referred to as LACCD) established the following Standards of Academic Progress. These Standards apply to all students who apply for and receive financial aid from the programs listed below beginning in the 2004-2005 academic year and beyond.

1. Federal Pell Grant
2. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)
3. Federal Work Study (FWS)
4. Federal Perkins Loan
5. Federal Nursing Loan
6. Federal Family Educational Loan (FFEL)
7. Federal Direct Student Loan (FDSL)
8. Cal Grant B and C
9. Child Development Grant

Professional Judgment may be exercised in applying these standards in accordance with Section 479A of the Higher Education Act of 1965 As Amended Through June 1994.

Satisfactory Academic Progress Standards are reasonable if they are the same as or stricter than the institution’s standards for a student enrolled in the same educational program who is not receiving assistance under Title IV Federal Financial Aid Programs.

Current and previous coursework earned at any college within the LACCD will be reviewed for compliance with the standards put forth in this policy.

Consortium Classes

All classes throughout the LACCD will be included when reviewing satisfactory academic progress.
For students aided under a consortium agreement with colleges outside the LACCD, consortium classes will be included during satisfactory academic progress review by the home school (the college that processes the student’s aid).

Students receiving financial aid must be enrolled in an eligible program. An eligible program is defined as:

1. An educational program that leads to an associate degree, or
2. An educational program which is at least a two-year academic transfer program that is acceptable for full credit toward a bachelor’s degree, or
3. An educational program which is at least a one-academic-year training program that leads to a certificate, degree, or other recognized educational credential and that prepares a student for gainful employment in a recognized occupation.

1. Maintenance of a 2.0 cumulative GPA.
2. Fewer than ninety (90) attempted units for students who indicated AA degree or Transfer as their educational goal.
    a. ESL and Basic Skills/Remedial classes are excluded from the ninety (90) unit limit when determining units attempted.
    b. Students who have already earned an Associate or higher degree will need to follow the appeal procedure.
    c. In Progress (IP) grades count as attempted units in the maximum time frame only. It does not affect cumulative grade point average in the qualitative measure nor is it included as completed units in the quantitative measure.
3. Completion of 75% cumulative units attempted.
    a. Entries recorded in the students’ academic record as Incomplete (INC), No Credit (NCR), and/or Withdrawal (W) are considered non-grades and must be 25% or less than the cumulative units attempted.

1. Satisfactory academic progress for financial aid students will be determined annually at the beginning of the academic year.
2. Students who are disqualified from financial aid will be notified by mail and receive the procedure for appeal.
3. A student who has been disqualified at any college in the LACCD, is disqualified at all colleges within the LACCD.
4. A change of one (1) educational goal or major course of study will be permitted. Students are eligible to receive financial aid for one educational goal at the institution of attendance.
5. Disqualification.
    a. Students will be disqualified if they have one or more of the following academic deficiencies at the end of Spring semester:
        1) Total units attempted (excluding ESL and Basic Skill/Remedial classes) are equal to or greater than ninety (90).
            a) Associate or higher degree has been earned.
            b) Cumulative GPA is less than 2.0;
            c) Cumulative Non-Grades are more than 25%;
6. Warning Probation Letter
    a. Students will receive a Warning Probation Letter at the end of the Fall semester if they have one or more of the following academic deficiencies:
        1) Cumulative GPA is less than 2.0;
        2) Cumulative non-grades are greater than 25%;
        3) Number of units attempted reaches forty-five (45).

Students attending for the purpose of obtaining an Associate of Arts Degree (AA), an Associate of Science Degree (AS), or completion of requirements for transfer to a four year college, are allowed 90 attempted units in which to complete their objective.
• Exceptions will be made only when the requirements of a student’s objective cause the student to exceed the maximum time limit.


         Short Length Certificate Programs.

1. Some certificate objectives at the Los Angeles Community Colleges may be completed in less time than that required for the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science and Transfer objectives.

2. The following table shows the normal completion time and maximum time for certificate programs of varying length:

        Units required for the Certificate Program     Normal Length     Maximum Length

            10 to 24                                                             2 semesters             3 semesters

            25 to 36                                                             3 semesters             5 semesters

            37 to 48                                                             4 semesters             6 semesters

To be eligible for financial aid, a program must be at least six (6) months in length with a minimum of sixteen (16) units. Students enrolled in a certificate program may continue to qualify for financial aid up to ninety (90) attempted units, six (6) full-time semesters, or the equivalent, if they are planning to obtain an A.A. or A.S degree or to transfer to a four-year school in addition to obtaining the certificate.



Summer and Winter terms are included in the evaluation of Satisfactory Academic Progress standards.



Any student who attempts to obtain financial aid by fraud will be suspended from financial aid for unsatisfactory conduct. The college will report such instances to local law enforcement agencies, the California Student Aid Commission, and/or to the Federal government. Restitution of any financial aid received in such a manner will be required.




Many scholarships are available to Los Angeles City College students. Criteria may include evidence of leadership in various academic departments and/or student activities, citizenship, need, and scholastic ability.

Additional information about scholarships is available through the Financial Aid Office, academic department chairpersons or through the Foundation.




Bungalow B3
(323) 953-4000 ext. 2490 • www.laccfoundation.org 

Each year, the LACC Foundation provides students with scholarships and awards to allow them to continue to excel in their educational endeavors. These scholarships vary in their fields, award amounts, and application requirements, including evidence of leadership in various academic departments and/or student activities, citizenship, need, and scholastic ability. Scholarships are the result of the generosity of private donors, LACC alumni and the campus community. Students are encouraged to visit individual department websites and the LACC Foundation site for detailed information regarding available scholarships and awards. All award and scholarship applications normally become available during the beginning of the Spring semester, and are awarded to students towards the end of the Spring semester.






C A T A L O G   I N D E X  |  R E T U R N  T O  L A C C   H O M E   P A G E  |  C A T A L O G  /  C L A S S  S C H E D U L E 


An Urban Oasis of Learning